Sunday 16 March 2008

hats in church?

I was in church this morning and was reminded to write this because of something my friend Besty had said to me. Besty usually wears a 'beanie', and apparently some people were giving off, and this is why...

1 Cor 11:2-onwards "..keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head...13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?...16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

So here we see paul establishing the tradition that men should not cover their heads but women should whilst in worship. However what people tend to miss when talking about hats in church is that paul opens the paragraph declaring that he was establishing a tradition, not a commandment! Furthermore he reiterates this in the closing of this section by suggesting that if the issue causes arguments then not to worry because not even his church or any other church of God, strictly adhere to this, as it is not a commandment. It clearly does cause arguments in today's church, so lets take pauls advice and not be a bad witness to the world by bickering over something as unimportant as head dressings in church.

I would also love to know where people get the whole "women must wear skirts" and men must dress respectfully. Yes I know you would want to look your best for God but doesn't it say in His Word "come as you are?" and besides who decides what items of clothing are respectful and what aren't? It's these very things that people can be put off the church!

There are indeed some very wacky hats around churches these days, ranging from the minimilistic to royal ascot!

1 comment:

Question of Identity said...

My hat's off to you on this one Chris. How important it is that we recognise the difference between tradition and a command from God.

I love Charlotte Elliot's song:
Just as I am without one plea
but that Thy blood was shed for me,
and that Thou bidst me come to thee,
O lamb of God, I come!

It is just as I am that I come.

Neil