Tuesday 19 August 2008

Does a woman have a right to choose?

I realise abortion is a very delicate topic on it's own, but even more so for a man to talk about, because what do men know about it right? So I promise before i say anymore, I realise I am a man and I do not wish to offend anybody.

Mel and I were talking about this the other night, and we both would be what is widely considered to be pro-life (which is a fancy term for being against abortion). Then the questions came up about What if a woman was raped? or what if it is a danger to the mothers life? and I can totally understand those points of view, and I can't pretend for one minute that I know how hard it is to be in that position. However, what my gut instinct tells me is that abortion is not of God, fullstop.

In the case of a rape, I believe that almighty God is abundantly more capable of healing a woman from those scars completely. Also the child may bring much blessing to the mother and others around it, and it's hardly fair the child doesn't get the chance to live because of another man's evil-doing. In the case of life-at-risk I feel that we should put our trust in God to be the keeper of our souls. We aren't the ones who decide if we get another breath, not to mention the fact that God would want us to put our complete faith in Him to perform the miraculous and defy medicine. The Bible says he who tries to hold onto his life will surely lose it, but he who gives up his life for the sake of Christ will gain eternal life.

The bottom line, God is the soverignty on life. He is the one who knits us in the womb. He is also the one that returns us to dust. I just don't feel that any human being has the right to decide if another life lives (I believe life begins at conception), and that included the death penalty (but that's a story for another day!). That said, I do not feel it is the place for government to legislate abortion as legal or illegal, as sadly not everyone in this country believes that Christ came to save. As I read in irresistable revolution one thing is important for anyone taking a pro-life status, is that they had better be prepared to adopt some babies and help some single mothers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7462934.stm


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris I am very much with you on this! (but of course I am a man ...).

In England, even David Steel (whose Bill liberalised abortion)is now admitting that abortion is being used as a form of contraception.

There is a program on Channel Four on Sunday nights at the moment called 'Make me a Christian' (a good program for a number of reasons)where a number of non Christians were taken to an abortion clinic. Most couldn't even watch a computer screening of an abortion. It was most noticeable that the doctor who performed abortions used the term (words to the effect of) 'product of sexual intercourse' to describe the baby in the mother's womb.

Britain presently has 200,000 abortions every year - this can't be right!

Neil