Saturday 22 November 2008

more unexpected beauty

Refering back to this I just wanted to give a wee update. I found out that man who wrote that, his name is Dave, and it turns out that he is wonderfully creative. It seems obvious but this is a pattern I have come to see more and more with homeless people.

I have found amazing talent, great faith, and brilliant banter with these brothers & sisters, that as the title suggests was rather unexpected. The thing is now, it seems ridiculous that I have thought any differently, I mean why wouldn't these people be all those things, after all they are made in the image of God.

The hard thing is getting past that first barrier of awkwardness; that vaguely patronising attitude that we 'the Christians' carry when we go trying to live out the great commission. As soon as we realise that the guys we meet are real people, with real stories and colourful lives, real bonds of kinship can be formed.

I speak of this because of a few people I have met on the streets. They are amazing singers, story tellers, comedians, graceful and great carers for each other. I say graceful for one particular ugly incident where a friend of mine was refused entry into church, but was willing to forgive and give me a second chance to try and bring the Fathers grace into his situation. He has faith, so pray that God will be so very close to him, that he would be able to find a house, and that we would be able to help him as he seeks rehabilitation from the things that hold him back.

No comments: