Sunday 22 February 2009

I just wanna be a sheep babababa

"I was hungry and you gave me no meal,
I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,
I was homeless and you gave me no bed,
I was shivering and you gave me no clothes,
Sick and in prison, and you never visited"

When I think about these verses, after I have fed the hungry, quenched the thirst of parched, gave a bed to the homeless, clothed the naked, visited the prisoner, where on earth am I gonna find time for anything else? Having a nine-to-five job is a massive inconvenience to being able to do these things. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to give it up, and rely totally on God's providence as I try to live out this passage.

Of course there is a scope for having professionals, who can give of their richer resources, but I think there is something to be said for taking such a step of faith of being in a place where you are fully trusting in God for every little thing that you receive. Personally for me, I am finding less of a need for God's providence in my life with having a stable job, because it's easy to look after myself. It seems that God is a convenient appendage to my life, to pick me up when I make a mess. I don't want it to be like that. I want to be like the sheep, who realise that this scripture is not a optional extra, who when they did all these things to the least of brethren, they did it unto Him.

"Then those 'goats' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or homeless or shivering or sick or in prison and didn't help?' He will answer them, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me.' Then those 'goats' will be herded to their eternal doom, but the 'sheep' to their eternal reward.

No comments: