Wednesday 17 June 2009

Itchy Feet


Updated 22.06.09 .... I have now uploaded a couple of photos from our time working with one of the CJ Partners ACORDI, who try to help vulnerable people such as orphans from the war by getting them selling at markets, or milk from goats. Rather like housing they build up an equity in goats to buy a cow, or even a boda boda (An motorcycle used in public transport, an experience to say the least!) to make better money

We have made it to our second destination of our travels, that being the very beautiful Kigali. We will spend the majority of our trip here working for a magnificent organisation called Coeur Joyeux (I will be referring to it as CJ from now on!).

It was an 11 hour bus journey from Kampala on a okay bus operator named Jaguar. My legs were a little oo big for the seating, and my ass a little too wide! At first I wondered how I was gonna cope for 11 hours on this journey, but I managed to get pretty useless broken sleep most of the way. There was some outstanding landscapes ranging from the countless hills of Rwanda, to swamps, to savannah land. I notice that the roads and cities in east africa at least are filled with orangy dust which gives you a deceptive tan on your legs! I reminds me of a quote from the movie Blood Diamond that they say the dirt is this red colour for the amount of blood constantly spilt on the continent of Africa.

Border control was an interesting experience as well. We had our bags searched for what I presumed was drugs, but it turns out it was for plastic bags as they have been outlawed in Rwanda - my bad! It should also be noted that getting the Irish passport was not only travelling astutue but financially astute also as I gained a free visa in Uganda with it!

Kigali itself is a city of many hills, each consisting of its own district. We are situated near the national football stadium and United Nations building, so I'm sure they both will proivide interesting entertainment over the weeks to come. I've noted that there is a big mobile phone push here with billboards and sellars everywhere. You get people coming up to your parked car, looking for you to buy a topup, much like the Telegraph sellars in Belfast.

Despite President Kagame's horrific faults (and I hope I can get away with saying that!) one can not fault him on his massive effort on Urban Development. The roads here are as good as any, and the standard of living could not even have been dreamed of here 15 years after the genocide. It is amazing to me how this work has been so successful for if you could see the scafolding here, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Despite the huge infrastructure development, we have noticed from our early work with CJ that the countryside tends to be forgotten about. It's a contant life struggle to even as much as feed your family. A lady we met, Josephine, who is a widow, can only afford to educate one of her 5 children (there is no free education system here), and provides for her famly with the 6 goats she has. CJ has been a massive assistance to people like Josephine giving them life and spiritual support.

We constantly hear the word Umuzunga! being exclaimed when we roam the streets. This is Kinyarwandan for White person. I'd imagine if we had a word for black people in Ireland, there maybe some offense caused. There is also an assumption here that every umuzunga is rich! I don't think any harm is intended however, and I guess in comparison to here; despite the recession and my paltry wage in the Northern Bank; that we are indeed rich!

Justin our guide, mentioned that the biggest problem in Kigali at the moment is water and power, and indeed we have experienced this in our own accomodation as they are regularly cut off. Praise God however that He has always provided when it has been needed. We have also experienced some video nasties such as lizards, mozquito bites and cockroaches the size of hands (I exaggerate of course!).

In closing and I apologise for the length, CJ does an incredible vast work here in Rwanda and the DRC on such limited resources. God has His hand upon it and I hope on my return to rally some support and try to get them some new partners. If you're interested please do let me know. If you're still wondering why this blog was called ithcy feet, is because I feel like we have rested and prepared a lot now and I'm just desperate to get out there and do something!

1 comment:

JamezFarmez said...

Thanks for the glimpse into your experiences mate. Great reading.