Sunday 11 November 2007

The blue and white stuff

I just started in my new job this week. It wasn't so much a new job, but more-so a transfer from one Spar store to another. The store has just been refurbished and looks great, so come in and see me when I'm working to save me from the boredom!

Anyway, it strikes me as odd however that despite how modern we have become we still find the need to use the plastic bag. Surely by now those brainiacs down in the technology department could have thought of something else to carry our shopping home in; or a more environmentally friendly option at least!


There is a descent solution in the bags for life, and tescos has some nice ones. It is hard though to remember to bring them with you, we need a motivation! Plastic bags float around town like tumbleweed, and are very hard to dispose of as they take 400 years to decompose. Only 1 in every 200 bags are recycled, and in the UK alone we use 10 billion plastic bags a year!

In it's defense one could argue that plastic bags do not litter - people do. That does not excuse it though, it is a waste of resources! I say we should do what the south did, and make people pay for plastic bags, that could give us the motivation I spoke about earlier, and it seems to have really worked down there.

No comments: