Friday 7 December 2007

worship Part 1 ...

I have been rather disappointed with a few of the new Christian 'worship' cds I have bought recently. For example I buy the annual Soul Survivor live CD every year as it usually has 2 or 3 gems on it (e.g. From the inside out, happy day, whole world in His hands, God of justice) but this year was a let down. Some of the songs are ok but most of them lack any real kind of depth to them.

That is something I am finding with a lot of Christian lyrics these days. There are lots of airy fairy lyrics with nice tunes, but seldom is there some real truth to declare. John McMullen did a good article on this a while ago, you can find it here.

Oh, sing to the LORD a new song!
Sing to the LORD, all the earth.


That can be found in Psalm 96:1. I think it's great that there are people trying to write these new songs, but lets actually write a new song, not the same lyrics rearranged. I wonder does God ever get bored of hearing the same thing? I can't say anything I guess as I am no songwriter, but I would say is that it is great to sing your own words to God.

Some of my favourite songs are...
When the music fades - matt redman
Blessed be Your name - matt redman
God of Justice - tim hughes
Consuming fire - tim hughes
In Christ Alone - stuart townend
Holy Holy - nathan fellingham
My soul praises the Lord - andy flan

I realise that the term 'worship' is a huge topic and a word which is highly generalised and over stereotyped in the shallow Christian culture of today, so I have labelled this topic part 1 as I will release further thoughts on this topic over the coming weeks and months.

No comments: