Thursday 31 July 2008

job hunting

Since graduation in June from Maths and Computer Science I have been scaling the job market to finally get myself a 'real job'. So far I have completed 12 applications, 8 of which were unsuccessful, 2 are still pending, another 2 I got invited to attend an interview, and one of those I finally received a job offer - praise God - that being from the Northern Bank (which I have subsequently taken).

What I can not understand is the age-old argument of experience. Everywhere I looked it was 2 years experience this, 1 years experience that. How is anyone supposed to gain said experience if no-one is willing to give them that chance? I heard Great Victoria Street Spar had over 100 applications for just 2 customer advisor positions. The way they filtered the applications was to separate them into experience and non-experience and then binned the non-experience. What has the world come to? You don't need experience for a bottom-of-the-food-chain shop job, where you pack out shelves and serve on tills!

The reason for all of this is that I am giving consideration to doing a second degree in Youth & Community Work with Applied Theology to qualify me with the lawfully required JNC to work with young people. I do not wish to go further into debt so I am going to work this year to help pay for this 2 year course. It's amazing how unrelated all this is to Maths & Computer Science, but I guess that is how God works sometimes. It's for that very reason that I am keeping an open heart for the gentle whisper of God that could blow my plans completely out the window, because I really want this to be all about Him (see my post on Matthew 7 : 21-23). So please pray...

"All of my ambitions hopes and plans, I surrender these into your hands"

1 comment:

Question of Identity said...

Continuing to pray for discernment and wisdom.

God bless

Neil