Monday 11 February 2008

Anfield legends tour

My brother and I took my dad on the Ultimate Anfield legends tour (also paid for by my mother!) for his 50th *cough* i mean 30th birthday. It was a classic day out which actually started the day before. We flew over to Liverpool quite early on Thursday morning, so we were able to check out some of the sites and buy some souvenirs while we were there. We had a surprise for him lined up after lunch, as we invited his sisters to come join us. It was a really brilliant time just getting to know them better and hear family stories, seeing as we hadn't seen them in over 5 years! Interestingly I learnt that my surname in Viking means 'recorder' which is essentially what I do on this blog...record things! and what is weirder is my Grandad Scorah used to keep reams and reams of scrapbooks of all kinds of things like cricket, football, gardening!

Phil Neal and Alan Kennedy 2 former star defenders for Liverpool in their glory days back in the 80s (8 leagues and 4 european cups between them) were our legends for the day. They took us for a training session in the morning which I thoroughly enjoyed and probably played the best I ever played! My claim to fame is that I took the ball not once but twice, off the brilliant Alan Kennedy.

After lunch and a Q&A sesson with Al and Phil we headed for a private tour of the ground, where we learnt that Liverpool's dressing rooms aren't fancy or high-tech at all. The thing of note was that in the home teams room their was a cushioned surface so that players would not trip on their boots, but the away team deliberately had hard ground! In fact the whole set up was geared about intimidating the away side including the home teams door being smaller than the away teams; touching the this is anfield sign and so on.

I have to say it was a great day out, and it was just good to spend some time with my dad, brother and family. Come on the pool!

No comments: