Sunday 24 February 2008

Child proctection annoyance

As I am writing this post I am fearful that this going to come back to me in a job interview someday so I pray to God that won't happen! My grumbling is about our countries current child protections policies. Do not get me wrong, I understand comepletely why they exist, and fully agree about their importance, but I have to be honest, I get frustrated with child protection sometimes.

I have been through so many child proctection courses for different things. Usually about 3/4 every year. To be perfectly honest they are not the easiest thing to stay focused in especially when you've heard the same thing so many times! What I don't understand is why I have to go through a separate course for every little thing that I do? Surely some of the previous ones should count? I think they should come up with some sort of certificate as they have with first aid and food health & safety, which can be topped up after a few years declaring that somebody has been through child protection training.

It seems unfair that for a few disgusting people in the world, the rest of mankind has to suffer for it. Besides what child abuser is going to stand up in one of these CP courses and admit they are one? The thing that annoys me most is that when a child is upset, or has injured him/herself, you are not allowed to initiate comforting that child in the fear the someone may perceive it as inappropriate. It's inhumane to not want to take care of an distressed child! It is against our human nature not to take sympathy and want to help.

It is right that we should extremely cautious when it comes to our children. Still we should strive to do more to meet the balance of protection and loving care for them. I wonder what Jesus would do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris

It is always very important first to stress the need for child protection - but it is deeply sad that the rules and regulations are stopping good honest people from getting involved with children's and youth work. Even those with a recent CRB check have to go through the checking system again for each organisation they get involved in.

I have found it difficult to encourage retired adults, who would otherwise be more than glad to get involved (serving food etc)in children's work, not do so because of the hassle of phoning up for a form (which according to a recent talk with the CRB people, they now have to do themselves).

Again I stress the importance of protecting the child! but I like you, do believe that much of the thinking around child protection is over the top and lacking in common sense.

What would Jesus do? I think he would uphold those rules that do make sense and very much challenge the authorities about those that don't.

God bless

Neil