Friday 1 February 2008

where does stuff go when we flush the loo?

I came up with this question one day when I flushed the toilet and wondered to myself, where does that go?The actual answer is... it goes into a septic tank under your house, where it's broken down by bacteria. Then it's carried out into the sewage network to ferment for years to come. Toilet water can be recycled. In fact, sewage waste can be treated so that pure water molecules are extracted. It's expensive, however. The faucet water (from bathroom tap) you use has the same source as the clean water that pumps into your toilet after you flush.

You'll be glad to know that that was not the sole purpose of this blog post, rather this is what I am getting at. Maybe I am wrong but I reckon most people are oblivious to the huge process involved in getting rid of our waste, we just do our business and get on with our life. This an attitude we should not let infect the rest of our lives as every action we do has it's consequence.

Gal 6:7 - "A man reaps what he sows"
First of all I think we should thank God for sanitation! There are so many who do not get to enjoy such high standards. Moreover we should strive to know more about the everyday things we do; for example every light switch we forget to turn off leaving it's carbon footprint, dropping litter, buying food from the shops and not knowing the standards by which it was produced, or if their workers were ethically paid.

Sometimes it's easy to think that 'I am only one person, it won't matter if I do it', but then if everyone gets sucked into this apathy then it becomes a major problem not just for you but for the people who suffer its consequences. Instead we should do what the passage says ('sow into the Spirit, and from the Spirit reap eternal life'), and make a stand for what is right, then we can begin to change the world for good (<--- how is that for philisophical toilet thought!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the hell?
Did you one day decided to find out about where waste goes after you flush the loo.?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!I had to do this project and you and your website are my saviors!!!!Thank you!!